The joys of a flashback...

After a loooooooong time, I saw a movie where I could 'joll' over the hero. For anyone who isn't familiar with the term , it means 'to drool over'. I'm all for acting skills are important, the looks just have to suit the role and all that ... but when it comes to a good looking guy making goo goo eyes at his onscreen love interest, ahem .
You know how when you are young, you know exactly the definition of good looking. There is a list of items to check off and there is no room for compromising (everything has to be a 10 , a rare 9 is just that, a rarity) Typical, Tall , Fair , Handsome, Great Eyes, Great Smile ... One of my favourite tests to judge if a guy was good looking was "If I pass by him on the road, will I turn around to look a 2nd time?". I remember being very particular about what I thought good looking was supposed to be. And I guess I used to see enough guys fit the bill , total NSP (Nayan Sukh Praapti) . I love stumbling on old abbreviations. NSP was the term we used to describe just looking at people. (Pleasing to the eye - that would be the closest meaning in English to NSP, but NSP sounds so much better)
Then somewhere down the line, (read along with growing older) , the definition changes. You realise looks are not important, that most people have only partial 'good looking'attributes . And most importantly, you begin to find people attractive for who they are more than how they look. And slowly, you change. You see only the good in everyone, for example - my doctor is this bald man with glasses and he's shorter than me but everytime I see him smile at a patient or see the way he holds babies and coos while patiently fixing all their problems  - All I can see is that he has a beautiful smile and that makes him good looking to me !  ( Teenage me would be shuddering now)

For most of my life, when I attend weddings with my mom and invariably we talk about the physical appearance of the groom and bride . My mom would say things like "He looks nice", "You can't expect guys to look better than that" for people I would rate 5 or 6 on 10. And of course all the aunties around would agree. And I would always think , what is it with old people and low standards in the looks ;) Now I realise that maybe the older generation was looking at the sort of person the groom is, or his social standing or his accomplishments and that colors their perception of his looks. And I get that. Now. Damn , have I gotten THAT old already ?

 But after seeing the movie, like a jolt I remembered all my teenage ideal guy criteria. It has been so long since I've looked at someone and gone "Haiiiii" (other than my hubby of course!! I go Haiiiiii alllllllll the time :) ) I kept looking at the scenes and songs and kept going "My God, he is one good looking guy" quite loudly into hubby's ear much to his annoyance. Well, I did see the movie and listen to the dialogs and all that but mostly it was nice to just look at a good looking guy . Here's to NSP !
Oh and I'm talking about Sidharth Malhotra in the movie Hasee Toh Phasee. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment